Since its JS and mine Wedding Anniversary today so, I am excited to bring you our favourite meal recipe i.e Choley Bhature. It is one of the popular street food in India. But to be honest I love it more when its home-made. I am sharing you my mother’s secret recipe. I have been eating this since I was a child. As everyone says it’s the mother’s touch in the food which makes it absolutely delicious. My mom cooks especially for us and specialises in every cuisine and is just perfect when it comes to baking. So whatever little talent I have, it’s because she’s been my inspiration. Also, because of her delicious meals I have grown deep love for food!! ‘Choley’ is chickpeas and ‘Bhature’ is a fried naan. I like both because of their acidic quality. ‘Choley’ is simmered with spices for a while for it to get that amazingly delicious flavor. I usually add tea bags to the chick peas while boiling so that it gets some brown colour. I usually enjoy hot Choley with tikkis(fried patties), bhature(fried naan) or simply topped up on a slice of bread. Traditionally ‘Bhaturas’ dough is made by adding some leaving agent like soda, curd and leaving it for some hours for it to ferment before they can be rolled out and deep-fried. So here is how I prepared: Serves: 4-5 Preparation Time: 3 hours Cooking Time: 45 minutes Ingredients:
1/2 cup semolina (suji)
1 cup Yogurt
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste Choley (Spiced Chickpeas)
1 1/4 cup white chick peas (kabuli chana) soaked in 2 cups water overnight 2 tea bags
1/2 tsp Ginger paste 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp roasted and powdered cumin seeds (bhuna jeera)
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tbsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
1/2 tsp curry powder (garam masala) 2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
2 Medium-sized finely chopped onion
4 medium-sized tomatoes 2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste Garnish: 2 green chillies sliced some sliced ginger some onions How to make choley bhature : Bhature:
- Take all ingredients and knead well into a firm dough without adding water. Knead the dough very well till the dough is smooth. If need be add a little water and keep aside covered for 4-5 hours, the longer kept, the better it is.
- Roll into oval shape and a little thick. Deep fry till both sides are golden brown.
- Boil chickpeas with tea bags till chickpeas become soft. Discard the tea bags.
- In a skillet heat oil, and put cumin seeds. When they crackle add the onions and ginger. Saute till onions turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and all the spices. Saute for another minute.
- Add the chickpeas and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish choley with thinly sliced long pieces of ginger and green chilli.