Chole Bhature (Spiced Chickpeas and Fried Naan)

18 Jan

Since its JS and mine Wedding Anniversary today so, I am excited to bring you our favourite meal recipe i.e Choley Bhature. It is one of the popular street food in India. But to be honest I love it more when its home-made.

I am sharing you my mother’s secret recipe. I have been eating this since I was a child. As everyone says it’s the mother’s touch in the food which makes it absolutely delicious. My mom cooks especially for us and specialises in every cuisine and is just perfect when it comes to baking. So whatever little talent I have, it’s because she’s been my inspiration. Also, because of her delicious meals I have grown deep love for food!!

‘Choley’ is chickpeas and ‘Bhature’ is a fried naan. I like both because of their acidic quality. ‘Choley’ is simmered with spices for a while for it to get that amazingly delicious flavor. I usually add  tea bags to the chick peas while boiling so that it gets some brown colour. I usually enjoy hot Choley with tikkis(fried patties), bhature(fried naan) or simply topped up on a slice of bread. Traditionally ‘Bhaturas’ dough is made by adding some leaving agent like soda, curd and leaving it for some hours for it to ferment before they can be rolled out and deep-fried.

So here is how I prepared:

Serves: 4-5   Preparation Time: 3 hours  Cooking Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:

Bhature (Fried Naan)
2 cups All purpose flour (Maida)
1/2 cup semolina (suji)
1 cup Yogurt
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste

Choley (Spiced Chickpeas)
1 1/4 cup white chick peas (kabuli chana) soaked in 2 cups water overnight
2 tea bags
1/2 tsp Ginger paste
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp roasted and powdered cumin seeds (bhuna jeera)
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tbsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
1/2 tsp curry powder (garam masala)
2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
2 Medium-sized finely chopped onion
4 medium-sized tomatoes
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste

Garnish:
2 green chillies sliced
some sliced ginger
some onions

How to make choley bhature :

Bhature:
  • Take all ingredients and knead well into a firm dough without adding water. Knead the dough very well till the dough is smooth. If need be add a little water and keep aside covered for 4-5 hours, the longer kept, the better it is.
  • Roll into oval shape and a little thick. Deep fry till both sides are golden brown.

Soft and delicious fried bhaturas (naan)!!

Choley:
  • Boil chickpeas with tea bags till chickpeas become soft. Discard the tea bags.
  • In a skillet heat oil, and put cumin seeds. When they crackle add the onions and ginger. Saute till onions turn golden brown.
  • Add tomatoes and all the spices. Saute for another minute.
  • Add the chickpeas and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  • Garnish choley with thinly sliced long pieces of ginger and green chilli.

Yummy Chickpeas!!

30 Responses to “Chole Bhature (Spiced Chickpeas and Fried Naan)”

1. Charles January 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM #

Wow, I never heard of this before but now I know I have to try it!! I love naan and chickpeas so I know that this would be perfect me for 🙂 I never tried making naan before, and I heard many stories about how hard they are, but since this one is fried I guess it should be a bit less difficult.

Thanks for coming by my blog earlier 🙂

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche January 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM #

Charles, you are right about this naan being absolutely easy. The baked one require a little more techniques, so compared to that this is relatively easy. We make this very often, so once you get the hang of it. it hardly takes much time.:)

2. yummychunklet January 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM #

Ooh, fried naan! That sounds even more delicious than the traditional baked, which is mighty tasty in its own right.

3. Kimby January 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM #

Happy Anniversary! This dish sounds like a delicious way to celebrate!

4. texaspinay January 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM #

Haven’t tried this dish, but it sure looks appetizing! Happy anniversary to you!

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche January 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM #

Thanks for your wishes:) It is delishious. I just ate it yesterday and as I am writting on my blog my mouth is watering again and want to have it more. 🙂

5. CorkAndSpoon January 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM #

You make the naan look so easy. I’m going to have to give this a shot.

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche January 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM #

Its our favourite meal 🙂 You should definately give it a try and do let me know how it turns out!

6. michiamocandace January 19, 2012 at 6:03 AM #

Happy Anniversary to you! I love, love, love Indian food and would give anything to try this. I need to see if I can find the spices that you used in the Choley. I can only imagine how delicious this must taste.

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche January 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM #

Thanks for your wishes! I am sure you can find Indian spices, since everywhere I have travelled overseas I have managed to find Indian spices in all the big departmental stores. So getting them shouldn’t be a problem. But you must try it and let me know how it turns out.

7. Nava Krishnan January 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM #

Lovely pairing of the chickpea gravy with the fried naan. I gathered new knowledge via your recipe. One of it is adding yoghurt into the naan and the fried version. The other being using chickpeas with the other ingredients for a tasty dip for the naan.

8. CouponClippingCook January 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM #

I can’t believe that I’ve never had Naan. I for sure will need to try it and am bookmarking this recipe because it sounds so delicious with the chickpeas. Love all of the spices you used too.

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche January 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM #

If you’ve not tried Naan then this should be on your list. this version is relatively simple to make and is also a very popular meal in India.

9. Nava Krishnan January 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM #

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby and more to come.

10. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com January 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM #

Happy Anniversary to you and the Husband 🙂

Love chole bhature! Recall having it mostly during festivities back home!

11. Kiri W. January 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM #

Looks fantastic! I love chickpeas, and my wife would rejoice at the naan with it.

12. Choc Chip Uru January 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM #

My mummy makes this – I think next time I’ll tkae over with your recipe – I love being Indian 🙂

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche January 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM #

Thanks for your lovely comment. Yeah one thing amazing about India is its cuisine and so much of variety be it North Indian (parathas, aloo, puris), South Indian (dosa, sambar, idli), East Indian (momos,thukpa, tomato achaar) and West Indian (Chicken Xacuti, fish curry, churma bati) food. All this defines India. Isn’t it? Food lovers like us love it!!

13. Ruth January 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM #

What a delicious meal! Happy Anniversary! 🙂

14. nancy at good food matters January 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM #

Happy Anniversary–and thank you for sharing your mother’s special recipe. It looks simply wonderful. I love learning more about this cuisine, authentic home-style Indian food.

15. torviewtoronto January 23, 2012 at 7:57 AM #

delicious combination looks wonderful

16. easyfoodsmith January 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM #

Delicious looking chhole and naan. I love gorging on them at the Haldiram sweet-shop when I am in Delhi.

17. Gayatri January 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM #

Happy Anniversary 🙂

Chole Bhature is just one of the many dishes that I miss, away from home. Looking forward to eating lots of it when I go to India next.