Taj Style: Wild Mushroom Cappuccino & Knowledge for Mushrooms

23 Jan

Mushroom soup at Taj Hotel is just too good. I have always tried to imitate the same but couldn’t do so. This time I caught hold of a book having this soup recipe. While I was reading it, I observed the unusual variety of wild mushrooms used in this soup. You might get alot of information about Mushrooms on Wikipedia. But here is what I discovered by going to the grocery store.

Edible Mushrooms are of two types, fresh and dried. There is a variety of edible mushrooms available in the market. Mostly found are the button mushrooms which we use in everyday cooking. But there are mushrooms like Shitake, Enoki, Enokitake, Buna-Shimeji, Oyster, Bunapi-Shimeji, Morels, Porcini and Chanterelles. These variety are mostly used for Chinese and Japanese cuisine. To no surprise the biggest cultivator of these mushrooms is China.

I required Porcini, Chanterelles and Morels for this soup. Others were easy to find but these were exclusive. I went to search all over but out of all I just found one vendor which could provide me with these mushrooms. The shopkeeper told me that the demand is very less for these mushrooms. It is only the five-star hotels which pick them up. Also, to your knowledge these mushrooms specifically porcini, chanterelles and morels are super-expensive. To my amusement the price was about Rs. 18000 per Kilo (USD 360/kilo). I still bought little what was required for making this soup. It was expensive but actually worth it!!:)

Creamy Yummy Soup!

So the special ingredients used for this soup cappuccino are:

30 gm dried porcini mushrooms

1 tsp peppercorns

2 sprigs thyme

100 ml white wine

2 tsp butter

salt to taste

Method:

1. Soak the dried mushrooms in 2 L (3.5 pt) warm water for an hour.
  2. Heat olive oil in a thick-bottomed stock pot, saute onion and garlic for a minute.
  3. Add celery, leeks, button mushrooms, peppercorns and thyme and saute for 2 minutes.
  4. Add white wine.
  5. Add mushrooms and soaking water and bring it to boil.
  6. Simmer for 45 minutes, skimming the froth from the surface. Cool.
  7. Blend using a stick blender and strain through a fine chinois.
  8. Return the soup to the fire and add butter and seasoning.
  9. Serve hot in cappucino cups. Drink Hot!

17 Responses to “Taj Style: Wild Mushroom Cappuccino & Knowledge for Mushrooms”

1. Suzi January 24, 2012 at 3:06 AM #

This looks and sounds elegant. Mushroom soup is a real treat. Thanks for sharing this recipe and the mushroom info. Have a wonderful day. Buzzed ya.

2. Hotiman Ridwan January 24, 2012 at 3:32 AM #

mushroom soup sound really yummy,i just love all ingredients in it 🙂

3. yummychunklet January 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM #

What a great idea! This looks delicious!

4. Tina (PinayInTexas) January 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM #

I love mushrooms…and with all the varieties of mushrooms in that soup, I’m sure it’s so tasty!

5. gayatri5 January 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM #

Wow it is winter here so this soup looks so comforting. I am definitely going to try this soon.

6. Oh my, that looks delicious. I adore mushroom soup and with the use of these exotic varieties, I’m sure it is wonderful.

7. Kiri W. January 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM #

This sounds amazing! I love mushrooms and mushroom soup, and the dried kinds sound like they’d give a great flavor 🙂 Wonderful!

8. Nava Krishnan January 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM #

I am alien to all those mushrooms you have mentioned because over here, we get mostly the local ones and from the Asian countries. A new discovery but sure a wonderful treat for the cold and rainy weather we have been having for the last couple of days.

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche January 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM #

Nava,

Even I thought only button mushrooms existed which are readily available but when I went to the grocery store I discovered that dried ones were used readily too!

9. Karen January 26, 2012 at 3:41 AM #

Your soup had to be so delicious. It is almost impossible to find the mushrooms you used other than dried where I live. When we were in Europe they were in all the markets this past fall. I had wonderful mushroom soup in Italy and in Germany and they were both so good.

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche January 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM #

Karen,

I am sooo fond of mushroom soup that I really wanted to find a real recipe which we have in restaurants. My search ended when I got this recipe!

10. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com January 28, 2012 at 3:23 AM #

I love the earthiness of mushrooms — it lends perfectly in soups 🙂

11. Ruth January 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM #

I love this recipe! Real mushroom soup! I gave you a Liebster Blog Award! Email me for details 🙂

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche January 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM #

Ruth!

You would love this one! Thanks for nominating for the award. Mail me the details soon!! I am so excited 🙂

12. http://dream-analysis.org March 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM #

Hello there, I discovered your website by way of Google while looking for a similar subject, your site came up, it seems great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.