Lemon Rice

9 Feb

Though I live in North India and mostly eat North Indian cuisine, but there’s something about the food from the south which attracts me. I love the tanginess in the South Indian food. The flavors of lemon, tamarind, curry leaves and nuts are to die for. One of my hot favourite amongst all the food is ‘Lemon Rice’.

Lemon Rice has a peculiar taste. It comprises of strong flavors of mustard seeds, lemon and curry leaves. The ingredients in it make it different from the usual fried rice we have. It can be accompanied with raita (yogurt salad) or popadums. The benefits of preparing lemon rice: 1) easy to prepare,  2) can be made of leftover rice, 3) can be prepared within minutes with cooked rice and 4) tastes delicious and a complete meal.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Serves 4:

2 cups cooked basmati rice

2 tbsp canola oil

1 tsp coriander powder

1 tsp mustard seeds

3-4 curry leaves

2 green chilis cut length wise

1/2 cup peanuts

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp turmeric powder

Juice of 2 lemons

salt to taste

Method:

Heat oil in a pan. Put mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chilies.  Fry till the spluttering stops and add the ginger and peanuts. Fry for another minute. Add turmeric powder and turn off the fire.

Add lemon juice and mix well. Add rice, coriander powder and salt and mix well.

Serve Hot!

8 Responses to “Lemon Rice”

1. Ruth Reynoso-Sance February 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM #

That rice looks so yummy! I love lemon and rice, I am bookmarking this recipe 🙂

2. Nish February 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM #

I really like the sound of this! I will be trying it out soon for sure! Does it go well with curries/gravy ? 🙂

3. Cher February 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM #

This sounds wonderful. I wish we could get curry leaves around where I live 😦

4. Margarita February 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM #

Lemon rice! Yummm! I love, love, love Indian food. This is a must-try!

5. yummychunklet February 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM #

Sounds and looks rather delicious!

6. Kimby February 14, 2012 at 4:21 AM #

Gursahiba, your lemon rice sounds SOOOO aromatic and flavorful, with layers and “depth.” I DEFINITELY want to try this recipe — you have such a flair for seasonings! Do you think it would work with white rice? If not, I’ll have to go “looking” again, ha, the way your Kheer recipe made me go look for cardamom! 🙂 You keep me on my culinary toes!

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche February 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM #

Hey Kim!
      Basmati is a finest variety of white rice. We usually use this here since its the best and good with taste and cooking. You can use any rice which you use in daily routine. You would definately enjoy the flavors in it. So for this you don’t have to go hunting to the market. Hopefully all the ingredients will be available at home. A long mail coming your way too! Till then you enjoy Lemon Rice.