Beer Battered Fish

13 Feb

One of the most favourite food for everyone is Fish and Chip. Isn’t it? Well, a fish well-cooked taste delicious. So if you saute or deep fry a fish it is always important not to leave it undercooked or overcooked. Mostly, seafood requires some sort of precision when it comes to cooking. However, the fish that I have got you today is the easiest to make and tastes delicious with some tartar sauce and lemon.

Lovely Fried Fish in terms of taste, texture and looks appetizing!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup stale beer

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp pepper

400 gm fish fillets

salt to taste

Method:

Combine the all-purpose flour, stale beer, baking powder, salt and pepper.

Mix well making sure there are no lumps. It should be a running batter and should coat the back of the spoon.

Season the fillets with salt and pepper.

Heat the oil in a skillet. Deep fry the fish untill it turns golden.

Adjusting the temperature of the oil to 375 F, fry the rest of the fish.

Serve the fish with tartar sauce and lemon wedges!

Took a bite! It was crisp on top and soft inside.

When I made it again, I added one more ingredient which made it really nice crisp. For that you’ll need:

1 tsp dry yeast

1 tsp sugar

3 tbsp lukewarm water

Add the yeast and sugar to the lukewarm water.

Keep aside for 10 minutes.

Add this mixture to the batter.

This is just another way of making this fish.

14 Responses to “Beer Battered Fish”

1. My Italian Smörgåsbord (Aka Barbara) February 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM #

wonderful recipe! I will definitely give it a try soon. do you mind if I use non-stale beer? 🙂 we never drink it and I will buy it only for this occasion.

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche February 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM #

Thanks! This is a simple recipe yet tasty. You can open the beer 2-3 hours before and keep aside. By then the smell and the fizz would go. So making it stale wouldn’t be a problem.

2. Tina (PinayInTexas) February 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM #

Spring is almost here and my hubby will be doing lots of lake fishing again! Can’t wait to try this! Sounds really good!

3. Kimby February 14, 2012 at 4:03 AM #

Gursahiba, one of the first meals I ate when I visited London (many years ago) was “fish & chips” because it sounded so… well… “tourist-y!” But after one bite, I understood it’s appeal — it’s still a favorite for me, too. (I serve mine with malt vinegar, but tartar sauce is delicious, as you mentioned — I especially like the “chips” dipped in it!) Thanks for bringing back a happy food memory for me. Your photos are making me hungry!

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche February 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM #

Kim,
      Food is nostalgic sometimes. It carries soo many emotions, doesn’t it! You bet with every cuisine and every type of food we love to eat there are always stories or memories attached.
      While I was in London, fish n chip was my staple diet. I can understand how it brings lovely memories.

4. yummychunklet February 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM #

Oh, yum! I love how golden the batter looks!

5. Priscilla M February 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM #

I love batterCan’t wait to try this. Looks very tasty. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

6. Priscilla M February 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM #

I mean I love battered fish. My iPad has mind if it’s own 🙂 sorry.

7. Charles February 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM #

Hi Gursahiba – I’m curious about using “stale” beer. I made a beer batter myself last year, which I posted here. Personally I find the taste of beer doesn’t appear at all in the final product, and the fizz really helps in making the batter extra crispy. It’s even better if you use a rich beer, like a stout – maybe not quite as dark as Guinness, but something dark and creamy like this.

I will have to try with the stale beer one time to see how it differs!

Thanks for introducing me to this alternative – it looks really very good, and I agree – a good piece of battered fish, in a golden, crispy batter is so, SO good! 🙂

• Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche February 18, 2012 at 12:48 AM #

Charles! While I made this fish, the taste of beer was very obvious and is you use yeast in your batter it will make it crisp. I actually used a light beer. Sometimes if I forget to keep some stale beer, I open a fresh one and toss and turn in 2 glasses so that the fizz goes but the smell and the taste is still there to use it for the batter. This is a good way of adding beer if you really wish to have the taste of it!

8. Sarah @ Homestyle Cooking Around The World February 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM #

You just gave me the impetus to make some beer battered fish soon. Our whole family loves to order it on Friday Fish Fries at restaurants when we go back home to visit my side of the family, but I have never tried making it.

9. J S ANAND February 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM #

Totaly enjoyed every bite of this fish!