Often we look around for healthy dinner options. If you are on a diet then this sprout salad is an ideal thing to try. Sprout is not only recommended as a diet food but it is nutritious for the young children too. This salad is filling and serves as a complete meal.
Recently, I read something really interesting about the nutrient value of sprouts. When the seed starts to sprout, the proteins break down into amino acids, carbohydrates into simple sugar and fats into fatty acids. Also, sprouting increases the vitamin content especially vitamin B. All these organic compounds can be easily assimilated by our body.
So here is a simple and healthy way to start sprouting. Sprouts are not only delicious to eat but also it is a great activity to do with your kids. To make sprouts at home is relatively simple. For this you would need:
- Green/ Brown lentils 2 tbsp
- Closed Jar or Muslin Cloth
How to Sprout:
- Take 2 tbsp of the green/ brown lentil seeds, remove stones, sticks, weeds etc.
- Rinse seed (if seed is small and clean, can skip this rinse)
- Soak seed in water for 8 hours.
- Rinse soaked seed, put in a jar or a damp muslin cloth for 2 days.
- Important: After 12 hours seeds must be washed and kept back into the jar or the cloth.
- After 2 days, the sprouts will appear and can be eaten. These can be stored in refrigerator for further use. If not used within 12 hours, seeds should be rinsed every 24 hours in refrigerator. Best is to eat FRESH!
TO MAKE APPLE AND TOMATO SPROUT SALAD:
1 apple chopped
1 tomato deseeded and chopped
1 onion chopped
2 cups sprouts
salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
1 lemon for garnish
coriander (cilantro) for garnish
- Put apple, tomato, onion and sprouts in a bowl. Toss until uniformly mixed.
- Season the lemon juice with some salt and pepper.
- Pour the seasoned lemon juice on the salad.
- Garnish with some cilantro and lemon wedges.
- Eat Fresh!