Lebanese cuisine is one of the popular in Eastern and Western world. The most popular dish is Shawarma. The one I am sharing with you today is chicken shawarma, if you a vegetarian you can easily replace chicken with cottage cheese.
If you usually wonder what you would like to eat as a super, yet low fat. This is a great recipe to try out. I must share with you that, this is something I often make when JS and I are on a low fat diet. The dip I use with this one is very nutritious as it contains Sesame. It is easy to cook and the marinade can be prepared a day in advance too. Sometimes Lebanese spice might not be available in your nearest store, so I also suggest Chinese Five spice to use it as a replacement. The result would be the same as the components of the spices are quite similar.
When I first made this recipe, I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. When I saw the final result, it was at par or even better what we usually eat at the restaurant.
250 gm boneless chicken
2 pita bread
some tahini dip
some arabic pickle
1 tsp vinegar/ lemon juice
1 tsp lebanese spice/ chinese five spice
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 cup thick yogurt
1 well beaten egg
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
- Slice the chicken into long thin pieces.
- Mix all the ingredients of the marinade in a bowl. Add chicken and keep aside for atleast 4 hours or more in the refrigerator.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add chicken along with the marinade. Stir fry for 4-5 mins till a little golden brown from some sides. Cook for 3-4 mins or till tender.
- Cut each piece of pita bread horizontally into half. Warm the pita bread in a pan.
- Spread 1 tsp of tahini paste in the pita pocket. Add the cooked chicken.
- Serve with Arabic Pickle.