I totally understand your haste the morning as there are alot of chores such as preparing tiffins, leaving for work, taking care of your babies/children etc etc. This is one of the favourite routine breakfast. Quick and yet Simple! Atleast for me, if I make a healthy breakfast in the morning which is quick yet delicious, my day is much happier and sorted. It is the most important thing to eat right in the mornings and the rest of the day shall follow.
An Upma is a South Indian or a Sri Lankan dish. One of the pros of Upma is you can add any vegetable to this to make it healthy and delicious. This dish goes well with coconut or mint chutney.
So here is what I followed:
Before everything I boiled 3 cups of water and kept aside. Then I took a skillet, heated some oil, and put some mustard seeds and let it sputter.
Then I added a sprig of curry leaves and split chana dal.
Some green beans…
Some blanched broccoli…
Threw batches of some semolina and seasoned it with salt, and black pepper.
and roasted it for about 3-4 minutes.
Poured some hot water..
Stirred till it came together. Then I put it in a bowl and tilted it upside down on the plate for a presentable look.
Hope you enjoy too!!
1 cup semolina
1 tsp split chana dal
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig of curry leaves
3 cups water
1/2 cup chopped beans
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped broccoli (blanched)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
· In a skillet, heat oil and put some mustard seeds. Let it sputter. Add the curry leaves and chana dal. Along with this (on the side) boil 3 cups water.
· Now add some beans. Saute for a minute.
· Now add carrots and broccoli. Saute again for one minute.
· Add the semolina. Saute it for 3-4 minutes.
· Add the boiled water to the mixture and keep stirring.
· Serve it in a bowl or plate along some chutney