Cooking is just about creativity, how you can transform a simple dish into something exotic. This recipe is from my old books. It is noted as my mum used to make for me as a kid. We usually eat idli with sambar, this is a little twist to the south Indian meal with some Chinese tadka. Amalgamation of the two flavours gives a wonderful taste.
So I started by taking a skillet and adding oil and rye seeds to it. Let it sputter.
Now some onions..
Add some garlic…
Some Yellow Bell Peppers..
Some Red Bell Pepper..
Some Green Bell Peppers..
Place the idlies and Mix Carefully…
12 idli (1 packet of idli mix)
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp rye (tiny mustard seeds)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 sliced onion
½ cup sliced carrot
½ cup julienne green bell peppers
½ cup julienne yellow bell peppers
½ cup julienne red bell peppers
1 ½ tsp soya sauce
1 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp ketchup
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt
• Make idlis according to the packet and keep aside.
• Take oil in a skillet. Put the mustard seeds and let it sputter.
• Add the garlic. Sauté for a minute.
• Add the onions. Let them cook till translucent.
• Gradually add the carrot, and the bell peppers. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
• Mix soya sauce, vinegar, ketchup, salt and pepper in a bowl and add it to the pan. Stir well.
• Place the idlies and mix carefully with the vegetables.
• Serve hot.