Some how I love how we cook Chinese in India. I always feel that the chef in India give a more powerful taste in our country. As India is always known for its more stronger tastes but in most other countries I have experienced their cuisines to be a bit bland. China is no different, atleast to Indians their tastes may be a little bland.
This one is a Chinese appetizers. We often indulge in making main course but this is a simple scrumptious appetizer and full of flavors. If you love sweet and tangy taste of chicken then this is a must try. For this I did the following:
At first I collected all the ingredients for my recipe and started to prepare the orange sauce. I mixed all the ingredients for the orange sauce and set aside.
Now for the frying batter, I mixed all the ingredients of the frying batter and whisked it till the batter was smooth. Then I threw in the diced chunks of chicken in it. I stirred so that chicken got coated neatly.
Now heat up the oil in a wok. Put the chicken chunks in the fryer. Take them out when it is tinge of golden. Set aside this chicken.
Heat oil and put some garlic in other pan.
Throw the chunks of fried chicken….
Now put the orange sauce and stir it well.
Chopp chopp chopp some spring onions… its a must have in most of the chinese dishes. I just love the taste…
Mix, Mix, Mix it well….
Garnish with sesame …Serve hot as an appetizer..!!
Scrumptious Orange Chicken!!!
500 gms boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized cubes
2 tsp cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Oil for deep frying
Salt and sugar, to taste
Chopped spring onions
White sesame, for garnishing
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp red chilli sauce
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp soy sauce
5 tsp sugar
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dry sherry, optional
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup water, ice cold
1/2 tbsp cooking oil
dash of salt
- In a bowl, mix all the Orange Sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and mix the Frying batter ingredients until the batter is smooth. Put the diced chicken, mix it well and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with deep-frying oil. Gently drop in the battered chicken cubes, one by one. Deep fry until color changes to golden brown and completely cooked. Dish out and drain on paper towel.
- Heat up a pan over a medium high heat with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil. Stir-fry the garlic until fragrant. Add the chicken.
- Gently pour in the Orange Sauce mixture, and stir. (Note: you may adjust seasoning according to your taste but for me this was just fine.)
- Dish out and garnish with sesame and ready to serve.